Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Finally, to Texas & finally, out of Texas

Sam called precisely at 12:00 noon today and talked for about 1 hour and 40 minutes. (A record phone call to anyone other than Ashlee :) He sounded well and ready to start working but a little tired because they started so early in the morning. I suggested he go eat real food one last time - preferably something green or protein you could identify - and go take a nap in the corner. He quickly told me that he was a representative of Jesus Christ and that wasn't acceptable. OK .... Elder Musick.

His eyes still bother him somewhat, but he thinks that will change back as soon as he doesn't study for 10 hours a day. He feels his language skills are below par and we should pray for the gift of tongues for him to learn the language so he will be able to teach and preach effectively.

Bethany and Papa and Gma Musick came over to listen in on the conversation. When Sam told us that he worked at the temple on Monday pulling up the carpeting, Papa told Sam that they were in the same business except that he did sealings (ceilings) and Sam did floors. Good one, Pop.

He shared some of Elder Bednar's talk of how as a missionary in Germany he was impressed to give 20 marks to one of the General Authorities and it eventually came back to save his wife when they crossed the border and her passport was not current for their country. The message was to do good things because they are good. He didn't feel compelled or necessarily inspired to do it, but it was a good thing to do, so he did it.

At 6:00 while we are rushing around making dinner and trying to feed Erik and Brock - no easy feat - we got another phone call from a pay phone in Texas. Curiosity got the best of me and I answered it and was suprised to hear Sam's voice again on the phone. He had been delayed about 3 hours, partly because the other 20 missionaries traveling to Guatemala were delayed on their flight over and then as they finally loaded up and backed away from the terminal, the plane had problems and they were unloaded and had to wait for another plane to be brought over. It made for a really long day, but what a nice surprise to hear from him again. Jordan was at the house, so he got to visit with Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment