Thursday, May 27, 2010

Here comes the rain ...

Dear family

So this past week the rainy season has really started in full fury. Last week we were in a lesson and it started raining really, really hard. We left the lesson and found all of the streets flooded and as we started to walk down the road and just on the sidewalks the water was above our ankles, but in the street it was above our knees. The current of the water was very strong as well. We had heard that a little girl had fallen in the street and drowned. Almost everybody was cleaning their houses out of water with buckets very late into the night. Even the next day there was quite an aftermath because there were giant rocks and gravel in the roads as well as in the little streams. But what was really silly is in our little housing community, we have stairs that go down a cliff a little ways. Well, the next day we went to run to the well and we found that the stairs had fallen off the cliff.

This last week we went to Chichicastenango in department Quiche. It was just the office elders and we had a good time. We had a few kids following us around because it wasn’t market day and we were the only white people there, so they focused on us. There was a small five year old who really, really wanted to shine our shoes. He first did mine and started working on another missionary when another boy came up and said he would give a shine for five quetzales. Well, the other smaller boy said he would do it for 2, then the other said fine I’ll do it for 2.
I bought a side bag to last me this next year. I didn’t want to mess up the old one I have because I want to use that after the mission. I needed a new one because my old one had a hole and mixed with the rain it isn’t good.

Well this change has been really different because we don’t have to open a single house which is really nice, but I really don’t like being in the office all the time so it isn’t that much fun - more boring. But we are preparing to have the conference in Sololá where we will be losing a good number of missionaries to the Xela mission. But I hope all is well with you guys and I would love to hear how Katie’s talk went. I love you all.

Elder Musick
Secretario de la Mision
Misión Guatemala Central

No comments:

Post a Comment